GRAFTON, Wis. – On Tuesday Dan Kohl, the Democratic candidate for Congress in Wisconsin’s 6th District, announced the endorsements of nearly a dozen labor unions. The announcement came as Kohl released his plans to increase wages, improve job training and apprenticeship programs, and create an economic environment in Wisconsin that benefits working families.
“Unions are critical to ensuring American workers have decent working conditions, livable wages, and retirement security,” said Kohl. “I am running for Congress to make sure Wisconsin workers have a strong advocate in Washington. In recent months there have been attempts within every branch of the U.S. government to undermine employee rights. Now more than ever we need our representatives to step up and pass legislation that will protect workers’ rights while preserving American jobs and growing the economy.”
Organizations endorsing Kohl include:
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers
- International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART)
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM)
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE)
- International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT)
- Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA)
- National Education Association (NEA)
- United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry (UA)
- United Steelworkers (USW)
“Dan Kohl has shown himself to be a friend of Wisconsin’s working families, and that’s why our members chose to endorse Dan. I know in Washington he’ll fight for retirement security, good jobs, infrastructure improvement, and work to ensure people from Wisconsin once again have a friend in Washington who cares about their pocketbooks and their quality of life,” said Dean A. Warsh, Business Manager of IBEW Local 494.
“Dan Kohl is running to make sure working families in Wisconsin have a voice in Washington,” said Michael Bolton, United Steelworkers District 2 Director. “In Congress he will fight to protect American jobs and workers’ rights, oppose efforts to strip funding from Medicare and Social Security, and support federal and local initiatives that increase workers’ wages. United Steelworkers is proud to endorse Dan for Congress.”
For more information on Dan Kohl’s plans to fight for working families, visit him on Facebook, Twitter, or at www.kohlforcongress.com.